Have you ever opened up your refrigerator, pinned your nose closed and asked that all too familiar question, “Where is that smell coming from?” This is an all too common scenario, and there are simple ways to avoid a stinky fridge. Thanks to our friends at HGTV.com, we have provided you with a few helpful tips and tricks to keeping your refrigerator clean and odor-free.
Top 10 Tips to Make a Refrigerator Really Shine
- Keep your refrigerator at a steady 37° – 40° to prevent wasting energy and your food from spoiling.
- Eliminate those lingering odors from your vegetable bins by crumbling up a brown paper grocery bag and leaving it inside the refrigerator bin for 48 hours. The paper will absorb the odors.
- Create a homemade all purpose cleaner by combining the following in a gallon of hot water: 1cup clear ammonia, ½ cup vinegar and ¼ cup baking soda. Pour into spray bottle, or use from a bowl with a sponge. This no rinse formula is a degreaser that prevents mold and mildew. Wipe down the entire fridge with this solution, including the drawers and shelves.
- Check for adequate tightness of the unseating seam around the door by placing a lighted flashlight inside the fridge and closing the door. Turn the lights off in the room, and see if any light escapes from the seams. If you see light, you will need to call Home-Tech for a refrigerator repair.
- Use toothpaste to remove tough stains from the inside and outside of your refrigerator. Toothpaste is a gentle abrasive with a pleasant odor.
- Try buffing paste wax into the surface of your refrigerator to prevent grease and odor buildup on the top of the refrigerator after cleaning.
- Need a fast odor fix? Try sprinkling vanilla or orange extract on a few cotton balls. Place them in a shallow dish inside the fridge.
- Have dust bunnies under the fridge? Remove the grill and run a yardstick covered with a pair of pantyhose underneath. Also, make sure to check the pan of water underneath the refrigerator, as it may house some stinky or odorous water.
- Dust off the coils on the back of your refrigerator every six months. Dirtier coils cause the refrigerator to use more energy to keep your food cold.
- If you don’t keep a full refrigerator, fill a gallon jug with water and leave it in the refrigerator. This will help keep the refrigerator cool and efficiently running.
Refrigerator Care – Best Practices
If your fridge is on the fritz call Home-Tech. Our expertly trained appliance repair technicians can fix your refrigerator quickly and effectively. Home-Tech can repair all brands and models of refrigerators, and with 90 vehicles on the road every day, there is always a technician close by. Don’t delay your refrigerator repair, call today to have a technician diagnose your appliance problems at 800-800-8356.